Saturday, January 14, 2006

Good Bye WKY--For Now, Anyway

What a surprise to hear the news about the change of WKY from a locally produced news talk station, to a Spanish language station.
As a former talk show host for WKY in the afternoons and in the prime-time morning broadcasts, I've got to tell you that it's a rush and I love it. It would be my goal to to a morning radio show from 6 to 8 a.m. and then work at my current job, because I really like people and love to talk about all sorts of topics and give my impression of those topics, like I do here on the blog.
I've known lots of politicians, public servants and media personalities. In those positions, it all boils down to liking people. If you don't like people, you picked the wrong job, cowboy.
Liking people doesn't mean you can't disagree with them but you shouldn't be disagreeable.
If you are attempting to be on the radio or in the media, you have to be able to get along with everyone and if you don't get along with lots of folks, check your medication.
When I hosted a program on WKY, it was my goal to get as many people on about all sorts of subjects as I could, because I wasn't afraid to discuss ANY issue, and encouraged that type of activity.
Some folks on radio are too scripted, they don't want to have live interaction. The most incredible things that I've ever seen or heard didn't involve a script. The Hindenberg disaster, the coverage of the Lee Harvey Oswald assassination, and lots of events on the Johnny Carson Show happened in the moment. No script.
It's called talent, and that's what radio syndication is trying to build and for the most part accomplishing nationally. There is still an opportunity for local news- talk broadcasters to be there to talk about local issues.
After all, if it's snowing or a disaster happens in Oklahoma, guess what, the national talk-shows won't give a rat's rear end about it, and listeners will go to where they CAN hear about these things.
That is the key, talk about, promote, understand and not offend folks about local issues. If you don't know what you're talking about---you lose and so do the listeners. So, before you grab your own mic, get some understanding of politics, government and common sense, otherwise, your program won't stand the test of time.
Remember, people will listen where they are respected and encouraged to call and not feel like they are stupid.

No comments: