Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Saviors and the Anti Christ

What would you think of a candidate for mayor of a small town who portrayed himself as the Savior for developers and said his opponent was the Anti-Christ for developers?
The answer? Not much.
Here's what should appear in a local news paper regarding these events after a few points are made by the candidate described as the Anti-Christ.
Reporter-What is your reaction to your opponents statement that you are the Anti-Christ for developers?
Candidate-I have always explained to voters that I will support common sense development and listen to every citizen regarding their concerns and that developers will pay their fair share of costs to the city and that taxpayers should not unfairly subsidize developers through a corporate welfare scheme.
Reporter-What about his claims and calling you the Anti-Christ?
Candidate-I'm very disappointed that anyone would attempt to corrupt the political process and use Christ our Lord's name in such a cavalier way. I have always focused what I planned to do as mayor to conservatively spend every tax dollar and have never attempted to portray my opponent in any way. This is the worst type of political smear and it appears to be a desperate attempt by a desperate candidate who has very little support to try and create a negative attack in a pitiful way. They say when rats are in a corner, they get desperate, and this certainly appears to be a desperate measure on my opponents part, and I'm embarrassed for him, his family and supporters.
Now for the Letter to the Editor.
After the name and experience of the author, and why they are relevant to the election, it should read something like......and I'm outraged by the candidate's use of The Lord Jesus Christ to describe himself and to call his opponent the Anti-Christ.
It doesn't matter what context it was, because it is an outrage to everyone who cares about civility in the election process. Stating one's religious preference and membership in religious organizations is one thing, but for a candidate to step in this mess stinks, and the person who used this comparison is the one responsible for stepping in this mess that cas caused such a stink.
I've known both of these men for a long time, and I was going to remain silent on my support for one or the other, but this failure of decency means I can no longer remain on the sidelines.
I am making my support for (Name) known, because I am very upset with any candidate who would insert religion in a mayor's race in this way. It should outrage all of our city's residents, because if a candidate would stoop so low in a candidate forum, then they don't have the temperament or the intelligence to be the mayor of our town. I'm glad we found this out before the April 3rd election, because if this type of statement was made after the election, I would demand this man's resignation from office and that would require a new election.
The candidates have shown their true colors. One has called names, the other has expalined his plans for the future of our community and to conservatively spend our taxdollars. That's why I'm urging all of my neighbors and friends in (town name) to vote for (candidate) in the mayor's race on April 3. We need good people like (candidate) to be the next mayor, and tell those who pander to religious bigotry that there is no place in politics for their kind.

Sincerely,

(Well Known Citizen's Name Here)

No comments: